Saturday, October 17, 2015

Malox, Echo & Tito, Uri Brauner Kinrot - Gaza Trip



I didn't have the chance to post a song this past week partly due to a busy after-the-holidays schedule and partly because with everything that's been going on it's been difficult to sort out and express my feelings. I mainly had to get used to a new but familiar companion who constantly followed me on my daily transit and errands (because life has to go on and all that) that goes by the name of Fear. On some days, I was able to ignore it but on others, especially after a gruesome attack, it was more difficult to continue as if everything was normal. If I wasn't scrolling through news alerts on the phone, I was glancing at people in the street and passengers on the bus with me wondering if we'll all be in some shared tragedy on the news. I also found myself being overly nice to the Arab workers at H&M and McDonalds because they're probably just as worried as I am. The guys over at Promised Podcast did a great job of explaining how this week felt in Israel and also analyzed how the political parties are reacting to the terror.
The new season of Indie City Jerusalem is in full swing with new videos being uploaded each week, serving as a wonderful break from the news and violence. Some videos are better than others, but all of them show the beauty and complexity of life in Jerusalem. This video featuring Malox, Echo & Tito, and Uri Brauner Kinrot, was filmed just a few weeks before the violence heightened in Jerusalem. Besides being an amazing song, it brings to mind two of my favorite Indie City videos from last season: Echo & Tito in the Machne Yehuda market and Yemen Blues in the Old City. The latter is especially touching and also heartbreaking as in the video it's the younger generation who are the first to make a step forward and dance to the music yet these days they are at the center of the violence with most of the attacks being made by young Arabs under the age of 18. As I'm writing this, I'm being notified of another knife attack in Hebron, in addition to two attempted attacks earlier in the day in Kiryat Arba and Jerusalem. And it's just noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment